Tips to get You Ready for Home Ownership
Step 1: Be Prepared
Build your portfolio! To make the home buying process a smooth one, make sure to have your financial documents organized and readily available. Documents you may need include:
- Financial Statements
- Bank Account Numbers & Statements
- Credit Card Statements
- Auto Loans
- Recent Pay Stubs
- Tax Returns for 2 Years
- 401k Statements, life insurance, stocks, bonds and mutual fund accounts
Step 2: Monitor Your Finances
- If you can, avoid large purchases, for example, a car, in the months leading up to buying a home. This way, you are on sound financial footing when you’re ready to sign that mortgage agreement.
- Monitoring your credit can help you understand what sort of properties you can afford and what sort of loans may be offered to you. You can get a free credit report once a year with Equifax, TransUnion, and Experian
- If you need help qualifying for a loan, your Hofmeister Realty agent can put you in touch with a number of finance options.
Step 3: Finding & Buying A Home
- At Hofmeister Realty, we want to make finding your home as easy as possible. Our Multiple Listing Service alerts us to every house available in the area, so we can find the one that’s just right for you. Get an idea of what we can offer using our advanced search tool to narrow your search by neighborhood, school district, or home feature.
Step 4: Move In!
- Don’t forget to stay organized and transfer utility services into your name. Congratulations, homeowner!